Hey, it's Boo. In case Momma didn't tell you this is going to be our way for me to do my book reports. Just to give you a heads up, most of the books I read for school are historical fiction. So here's one on A Place To Hide.
A Place To Hide takes place during the Holocaust. It's about a few attempts to help the Jews hide, and it's all true.
The first story is about a woman named Miep Santrouschitz. She hid ten people, all Jewish, in a tiny apartment, inclueding Annie Frank. One of her main worries was that it would look suspicious if a newly married woman were to get food for all those people, plus her and her husband! Luckily it went off without a hitch for quite a while before the Jews and the men involved were arrested. After the Germans surrendered one of the people Miep helped came back. He was the only survivor.
The next story is about Oskar Schindler. He saved more than 1,200 Jews by hiring them in his factory. The Germans used a lot of his products so they did not question his methods. He helped a lot of Jews escape that way. He even had his factory moved so it was more secluded and, maybe, closer to cites of refuge, which brings me to the next story.
When Germany invaded Europe, I think it expected to be followed without much revolt. Well the city of LeChambon in France sure surprised them! Not only did they revolt, they were so attached to their Jews that they made the city a city of refuge. Apparently though, one of the Germans later confessed they had been turning a blind eye towards it. But speaking of refuge...
The monks of Assisi, Italy could not bear to see so many Jews killed, so they decided to help. They hid Jews in monasteries disguised as monks until they could go somewhere safer. I believe they were able to have kept that up until the Germans surrendered.
The people in Denmark were able to evacuate Jews by sneaking their tiny fishing boats past the big German warships. This was quite successful as 8,000 Jews were evacuated.
There are also 6 short stories at the end about the people hidden. I've decided I'm not going to include them here, because the longest is only 2 pages.
I give this book a 47 out of 100 pages. Mainly because I have little to no interest in World War II and the Holocaust. I think if you like history you will enjoy this book, I just did not particularly like it.
This book was about the men and women who risked their lives to save the Jews. I think it's downright sad sometimes. If you're not careful this book will make you cry. I would just like to mention the over 6,000,000 other Jews that did not escape the Germans. If you do cry during this book think of them and cry for them.
No comments:
Post a Comment